As a member of the Alabama Community College System, Jefferson State Community College serves and enhances its communities by providing affordable, accessible, quality educational and workforce development opportunities.
The vision of Jefferson State Community College is to be recognized as the most effective community college in the state of Alabama by providing individuals with knowledge and skills needed to function in a technologically demanding society. In a period of significant and rapid change, we intend to put the learner’s needs first by being responsive and innovative, as well as being a catalyst for lifelong learning through the use of a variety of delivery systems.
Statement of Philosophy and Purpose
Jefferson State Community College, as a comprehensive, public, two-year, community college, exists to provide an educational environment in which the needs of the individual student, the community, and other target audiences can be met. Within this educational environment, Jefferson State endeavors to make collegiate education accessible to all who seek it and in a manner consistent with the vision, mission, goals, and objectives of the Alabama Community College System. The college is dedicated to offering programs and activities which reflect those characteristics that help define an educated person. These characteristics include a level of general education that enables the individual to understand his or her culture and environment; the development of skills in analysis, communication, quantification, and synthesis necessary for further growth as a lifelong learner and a productive member of society; the identification of a system of personal values based on accepted ethics that lead to civic and social responsibility; and the attainment of skills that enhance the development of leisure activities and a healthful lifestyle. These characteristics are attained not only through organized courses and programs, but also through the intellectual and social climate of the college and through a variety of social, cultural, civic and other educational activities that are offered based on the needs of the community.
The following purposes stemming from this philosophy, are stated by the college as commitments to fulfilling the overall role of the institution:
- The college is committed to providing accessible educational and workforce development programs through which students may obtain the skills and knowledge necessary to pursue their life’s work and to become educated members of society. Students may select an option from among:
- University parallel degree programs that prepare students to transfer to a college or university as a junior.
- Career and professional degree programs that integrate general and career-specific education and prepare students for immediate employment.
- Certificate and non-credit certificate programs and other learning opportunities that enable students to acquire specific training to prepare for employment or advancement in jobs requiring skilled employees.
- Dual enrollment programs that allow qualified high school students to earn credits for a high school diploma and/or a postsecondary degree.
- Distance learning programs and classes that promote accessibility through new technologies.
The college is committed to providing the services and environment necessary to assist its students in achieving their educational goals and enhancing their social and physical development. These include:
- Student academic, developmental, and support services that assist all students in achieving their goals.
- Administrative services that support students, faculty, and staff.
- An environment that is conducive to learning.
The college is committed to acting as a leader in building connections beyond the campus and in fostering partnerships which are inspired by common goals. In addition to offering college facilities and resources to the community, the college accepts the responsibility for providing:
- Activities that promote community, social and civic well-being.
- Courses and other activities that promote economic well-being and growth through workforce training and retraining.
- Opportunities that expand cultural experiences.
- Financial resources to enhance existing and future college programs.
In all of these efforts Jefferson State is committed to providing:
- Maintenance of achievement standards consistent with accredited collegiate institutions.
- A system of technical assessments and certifications that meet the needs of business and industry.
- Accessible programs that are offered at reasonable costs.
- The establishment of partnerships with other schools, universities, businesses, and the community at large.
- Continual improvement through on-going evaluation and advocacy of innovation in teaching and learning.