- Student must be a high school graduate or have been awarded a GED
- Student must submit a completed online application.
- Student must be admitted to Jefferson State Community College and be enrolled in the Welding Technology AAS Degree option
- After enrollment, students must be referred by the JSCC Manufacturing & Technology Center to be interviewed by Altec for final acceptance into the program
- Students will be considered each semester for acceptance based on Altec’s current needs.
The Program Consists of Two Components
- Welding Technology classroom/lab instruction at Jefferson State
- Paid apprenticeship at Altec
The Welding Technology Option consists of a total of sixty-nine (65) semester credit hours resulting in an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) Degree. Students selected will have the opportunity to work up to twenty-four (24) hours per week at Altec. Work hours will be coordinated around each student’s class schedule. Altec will screen and interview student applicants for acceptance.
Continuation in the internship program is contingent upon the student meeting the standards and requirements of Altec.
To apply, currently enrolled students must have at least a cumulative 2.0 GPA; new students must be admitted to the college as a Welding Technology Option major and have a high school diploma or GED. Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher to be eligible to receive financial support from Altec: i.e., payment of tuition, fees, and books not covered by available financial aid/scholarships. Students may be deemed ineligible for continued enrollment in the paid apprenticeship program should a student’s cumulative GPA fall below 2.0, or if a student’s performance is unsatisfactory.
Jefferson State Community College