What is the Summer Boost Program?
Summer Boost is a free seven-week program designed to strengthen skills needed to succeed in college-level courses. Summer Boost students will receive instruction in math or English, and participate in Orientation to College classes.
Any spring 2017 high-school graduate who is admitted to Jefferson State for the fall 2017 semester and who is required to take a developmental math or developmental English course based on the college’s placement criteria.
- A student who has not taken the ACCUPLACER test and has an ACT math subtest score below 20 is required to take developmental mathematics.
- A student who has not taken the ACCUPLACER test and has an ACT English subtest score below 18 is required to take developmental English.
Acceptable scores on the ACCUPLACER math and/or English test can eliminate the need for developmental courses. Students are strongly encouraged to complete the ACCUPLACER test before the Summer Boost Program begins. Please visit our ACCUPLACER test webpage to learn how to prepare.
What are the Benefits?
Summer Boost students who complete all program requirements
- Can earn exemption from a Jefferson State developmental math or developmental English course by meeting expectations on the course final assessment.
- Will receive credit for Jefferson State’s ORI 101 course at no cost.
Students who miss more than two Boost classes lose these benefits.
The total cost of a one-semester developmental course can be $500 to $600. Boost students who earn exemption from a JSCC developmental course will save time and money while becoming better prepared for success in college-level courses. Boost is a free opportunity to:
- Develop college-level math or English skills.
- Earn exemption from a JSCC developmental math or developmental English course.
- Learn college readiness skills and earn Jefferson State ORI 101 credit.
- Develop relationships with Jefferson State students, faculty, and staff.
- Become familiar with the Jefferson or Shelby-Hoover Campus, and with student services that Jefferson State offers.
What are the details?
- Summer Boost classes meet Monday – Thursday between 8:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. from June 19, 2017 – August 3, 2017.
- Participants must complete a required pre-test in June to participate. Test dates and times are listed in the registration form (below).
- There is no charge to attend the Summer Boost Program!
How Do I Register?
The Summer Boost Program is available to 50 students at the Jefferson Campus near Center Point, and 50 students at the Shelby-Hoover Campus. Complete the registration form for the campus that best meets your needs.
- Jefferson Campus near Center Point (Registration Will Open Soon)
- Shelby-Hoover Campus (Registration Will Open Soon)
Need more information?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (205) 856-7824