Click Here to download the Program Application
A MLT/Phlebotomy Short Certificate serves patients by identifying the best method for retrieving specimens; preparing specimens for laboratory testing; performing screening procedures. Performing moderate to complex laboratory testing can only be performed with completion of the Associates Degree in MLT.
Students enrolled in the program are eligible for Financial Aid and a minimum reading score of 70 on Accuplacer test is required. The class usually is comprised of 15-20 students every spring and fall semesters, and 10-12 students each summer. Jefferson State offers this program each Semester beginning in January, May and August.
Students must complete a total of 12 credit hours of the courses to obtain a Phlebotomy Certification and be eligible to sit for the National Board Certification Exam.
- MLT 100S – Phlebotomy – 2 credit hours
- MLT 131S – Laboratory Techniques – 4 credit hours (These classes must be taken together during the semester.)
- PSY 200 General Psychology – 3 credit hours
- General Electives (MLT or Gen. Ed.) – 3 credit hours
- Students must complete 48 Clinical hours. The clinical schedule is agreed upon by student and the clinical site. (Note: the schedule can often be extremely variable at times.)
- Students must also preform 30 successful venipunctures
The NHA National Board Certification Exam is offered at Jefferson State
AAS Students Priority
MLT100S and MLT131S are required for the 2-year Medical Laboratory Technology Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree. Students admitted to the MLT program in summer or fall semesters will be registered in these courses first, and non-MLT students will be admitted if room is available. The exception to this is the Spring Semester, when any student can enroll in the Phlebotomy Certification classes.
The Alabama Community College tuition rate is $148.00 per credit hour. So the tuition for 6 credit hour Phlebotomy Short Certification is $888 plus textbook, health form, drug screen, and other course requirements.
George Layton Building 223
George Layton Building 221