Chef Kenneth Moore, Sponsor
“Sustainable is living in a way that leaves natural resources for future generations. Examples include: not consuming more resources than are available, not overusing resources, allowing resources the opportunity to naturally replenish.”
- Dirt/Plant Presentation
- Lights on timers
- Tank less on demand hot water heaters
- Low flow spray nozzle in dish rooms
- No plastic tasting spoons
- More events using china and pitchers of water and juice, instead of bottled.
- Utilizing highly concentrated and minimally packaged dish chemicals
- Composting of scraps from labs and Bistro Culinary gardens at both Jefferson and Shelby Campuses
- Post departmental communications online, instead of on paper.
- Give preference to Alabama grown or local meat and produce in purchasing considerations.
- Used fryer oil is recycled into Biodiesel for municipal vehicles.
- Replacing incandescent light bulbs with Compact Fluorescent bulbs
- Sustainability section of our website, including a suggestion link.
- Over 30 (3)cubic feet containers of compost in 2011, alone.