Technical Performance Standards
- Cognitive and critical thinking abilities are sufficient to make clinical judgments and meet laboratory objectives and requirements.
A. Can comprehend new knowledge and apply it in any funeral service practice.
B. Can analyze situations and identify cause-effect relationships.
C. Can organize, problem solve and make decisions.
- Interpersonal abilities are sufficient to interact purposefully and effectively with others.
A. Can establish rapport with individuals.
B. Can interchange ideas in a group.
C. Can convey sensitivity, respect, tact, and a mentally healthy attitude in inter-personal relationships.
- Communication abilities are sufficient to convey thoughts in verbal and written form so that they are understood by others.
A. Has sufficient English language abilities to understand printed and verbal instructions.
B. Has sufficient English language abilities to be understood in verbal and written communication.
- Physical mobility is sufficient to fulfill classroom, clinical and program objectives safely and effectively. Physical disabilities do not pose a threat to the safety of the student, faculty, or other students.
A. Can maintain balance in any position and can stand on both legs, move from room to room, and maneuver in small spaces.
B. Can flex and/or abduct and adduct all joints freely.
- Strength (gross motor skills) and endurance are sufficient to safely fulfill clinical laboratory objectives and requirements.
A. Can stand and walk for six or more hours in a laboratory or funeral home.
B. Can position, lift and transfer dead human remains without injury to self or others.
C. Can push, pull or lift with assistance from one other person heavy objects such as caskets containing dead human remains.
- Fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination are sufficient to safely fulfill laboratory objectives and requirements.
A. Can manipulate small instruments and sharps used in the embalming process.
B. Can manipulate objects without extraneous motions, tremors or jerking.
C. Can write the English language legibly using correct grammar and syntax.
- Auditory ability is sufficient to fulfill laboratory objectives and requirements.
A. Can hear and quickly respond to verbal instructions.
B. Can hear and write down verbal instructions.
- Visual ability is sufficient to fulfill laboratory objectives and requirements.
A. Can discern the full spectrum of colors and distinguish color changes.
B. Can accurately read numbers and letters in fine print.
C. Can read for long periods of time.
D. Can read cursive writing.
E. Can detect changes in the environment.
- Tactile ability and sense of smell are sufficient to assess the status of the embalming situation.
A. Can discern physical characteristics such as texture, temperature, shape, size location and others by touch.
B. Can smell environmental odors.