Alabama’s Ready-to-Work program provides a career pathway for adults with limited education and employment experiences at 96 sites by 22 colleges. Ready to Work’s workplace environment provides trainees the entry-level skills required for employment with most businesses and industries in Alabama.
Successful completers of the Ready to Work Program earn the following certifications and credit hours:
- Alabama Certified Worker (ACW) Certificate
- ACT Work Keys-National Career Readiness Credentials (CRC)
- FDIC – Financial Literacy Money Smart – 11 Certifications
- The potential of earning a total of 13 certifications
- 3 Credit hours to be applied to course of your choice at Jefferson State
Essential Requirements for Successful Completion Include:
- A 95% attendance and punctuality rate.
- Satisfactory achievement of work ethic, organizational skills, attitude and motivation.
- Satisfactory achievement of problem solving skills, workplace behaviors, financial education, customer service, computer skills, job acquisition skills and operation skills.
- WorkKeys Assessments: Applied Mathematics, Reading for Information, and Locating Information.
- Alabama Certified Worker Examination
Getting Started Is Easy
You must have a High School Diploma or GED to participate. Contact Jefferson State’s GED Preparation program at (205) 856-7945 if you need to complete the GED.
Click here to register for the next Ready to Work class.
The Ready to Work program is free and is approximately 8 weeks in length. Our next session will begin Tuesday, April 3, 2017. The class will meet from 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The class will meet at Jefferson State’s Jefferson Campus in Lurleen Wallace Hall 101.
Introduction to RTW consists of:
Workplace Violence; What is Harassment; Safety Orientation; Diversity in the Workplace
- Safe Lifting & Fire Extinguisher
- Team Building
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Problem Solving Tools
- Decision Analysis
- Time Management
- Conflict Resolution
- Bank On It
- Borrowing Basics
- Check It Out
- Money Matters
- Pay Yourself First
- Keep It Safe
- To Your Credit
- Charge It Right
- Loan To Own
- Your Own Home
- Financial Recovery
- Resumes and Cover Letters
- Application Forms
- Workplace Safety
- Precision Measurement
- Lean/Just-In-Time Operation
- Introduction to Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Principles of Quality Operations*
- Diversity – Drop by Drop DVD
- Harassment Is DAV
- Workplace Violence – The Calm Before the Storm DVD
- Safety Orientation – It Takes a Winning Attitude DVD
- Workplace Ethics (No DVD required)
- Team Member Training (No DVD required)
- Windows 7, XP and Mac Operating Systems
- Introduction to Computers
- Technology to Communicate