How do I become a JSCC Ambassador?
- All interested students must complete an Ambassador application, submit a current photo, current transcript and least one letter of recommendation (from a teacher, counselor, club or student group sponsor, principal etc.)
- All completed applications are reviewed each spring semester for the following academic year
- All applicants that submit in a completed application will be contacted for an individual interview
Where can I find the Ambassador Application?
- The Ambassador application can found under the application process link, high school counselor, or by contacting the Ambassador Advisors
Can I apply online?
- No, JSCC currently does not accept online Ambassador applications
- All applications must be mailed or hand delivered to the Advisors by the deadline date
How are new Ambassadors chosen/elected?
- Newly elected Ambassadors will be chosen by a selection committee based on their application, interview, GPA, leadership skills, interest in student involvement and future goals
- Newly selected applicants will be contacted by phone and sent (by mail) written verification of their acceptance
Is there a GPA or ACT score requirement for applying?
- No, there is not a GPA or ACT score requirement for applying; although, ALL selected Ambassadors must maintain at least a 3.0 each semester while on scholarship and test scores/GPA’s are reviewed during the interview process
Who makes up the selection committee?
- Ambassador Advisors and other staff members of JSCC
What are the responsibilities of being a JSCC Ambassador?
- New Ambassadors are required to attend a mandatory Orientation Workshop (1 day) that is usually scheduled during the summer semester
- Work a minimum of 5 hours per week in a designated area on campus — assigned by the Ambassador Advisor
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA each semester
- Serve as official hosts and hostesses for college and community sponsored events
- Be available for daytime, evening and weekend events
- Conduct campus tours at all locations (Jefferson, Shelby, Pell City and Clanton)
- Attend Leadership Conferences and Seminars
- Coordinate community service projects
- Complete a 1 hour credit Ambassador Humanities Course in the fall and spring semesters
- Coordinate ALL New Student Orientations
- Help coordinate fundraising events
- Be involved in other student organizations and events
- Represent Jefferson State at all times
- Stay in good standing with college and community
- Abide by the Ambassador Code of Conduct and Demerit System
What kind of events/conferences will I attend?
- JSCC student Ambassadors attend an annual Student Leadership Conference (SLI) every summer. This conference is hosted by another junior college in Alabama.
- Ambassadors attend an annual team building retreat each fall semester
What does the scholarship pay for?
- Payment for all Tuition and Fees up to 2 years (books are NOT included)
Can I receive additional Financial Aid while having an Ambassador Scholarship?
- Yes, (if you qualify) Ambassadors may receive additional funding through Financial Aid
Do I have to maintain a certain GPA while being an Ambassador?
- Yes, all Ambassadors must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA every semester
Do I have to be considered a full-time student while serving as an Ambassador?
- Yes, all Ambassadors must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the fall and spring semesters
- All Ambassadors have to complete at least 24 credit hours for the fall and spring semesters combined
What are the rewards/advantages for being an Ambassador?
- Most Ambassadors will receive a semester by semester scholarship up to 2 years that includes tuition and fees
- Ambassadors attend several leadership conferences and seminars throughout the year to strengthen their communication, speech and leadership skills
- Ambassadors are given a banquet at the end of the spring semester, hosted by the Ambassador Advisors and other staff members of the college
- Ambassadors receive several free t-shirts to wear for events
- Ambassadors are recognized during the JSCC graduation ceremony by having their names printed in the program
- One Ambassador is chosen every spring semester to receive the Jim Blackburn Ambassador of the Year Award during the JSCC Honors Convocation
- Being part of our organization looks great on other scholarship opportunities, resumes, and admissions application if you plan to transfer
Do I have to re-apply each year?
- Yes, all new and current Ambassadors must re-apply and complete the interview process each Spring semester for the following academic year
Will I be required to travel to various Jefferson State Campuses?
- Yes, all Ambassadors at some point will be asked to travel to the various locations.
- It is required for all Ambassadors to have reliable means of transportation.
Is there a President/Vice President for the Ambassadors?
- Yes, typically the President and Vice President are returning Ambassadors. These elections are held each Spring semester by the current Ambassadors
- The newly elected officers will take over these roles at the beginning of each Fall semester.
Do they receive additional money or scholarship awards?
- No, any officer will receive the same scholarship award as the other Ambassadors (tuition and fees)
Are all events and meetings mandatory?
- ALL events and meetings are mandatory unless specified otherwise by the Ambassador Advisor.
Do I currently have to be enrolled at Jefferson State before I can apply?
- No, most interested applicants are seniors in high school
- Anyone who is currently or will be attending Jefferson State may apply (providing they are either about to graduate high school, have graduated high school, or received a GED)