Join your Jefferson State family for the 2023 AL PALS, People Against A Littered State “Don’t Drop It On Alabama” Statewide Spring Cleanup!
Alabama People Against A Littered State (ALPALS) is a statewide organization dedicated to making Alabama more beautiful by sponsoring programs focused on cleaning up litter in our streets, streams, campuses, and coastlines.
Back by popular demand, Jefferson State Community College is partnering with the Cahaba River Society and AL PALS to clean up the Cahaba River as we canoe or traverse the banks of the main Cahaba and upstream on the Little Cahaba. Wil Rainer, with the Cahaba River Society, will be our guide and teach us amazing facts about this treasure of our state, as we work together to protect it. Six participants will canoe, collecting trash in the water, while another 25 participants are invited to join us on foot, collecting trash on the banks. Unfortunately, there is enough trash to go around!
- When: Wednesday, April 19, 2023
- Time: 8:45 a.m.- 11:45 a.m.
- Place: Cahaba River, Hwy 280, meet at Staples Parking Lot for shuttle.
Cahaba River – Hwy 280 area
4614 Hwy 280, Birmingham, AL 35242
Maximum: 6 participants in canoes; 25 participants on foot
JSCC Students, Faculty and Staff are invited to register below on a first come, first serve basis. We will meet at 8:45 a.m. in the Hwy. 280 Staples parking lot and shuttle quickly to the launch site. We will provide garbage bags, trash grabbers and hand sanitizer. Canoes and guidance provided by the Cahaba River Society.
- Please wear comfortable clothing.
- Closed-toe shoes are a must. Sneakers with wool socks are the best choice.
- No open sandals, flip-flops, etc. and waterproof rain boots are NOT recommended.
- We will get out of the canoes occasionally to gather trash, so plan on wet feet.
- Please bring adequate drinking water. Reusable water containers are strongly recommended, much of the trash we will pick up will be single-use plastic bottles.
Past Clean Up Photos