Thanks for the great response. The 20 spots are filled already. If you would like to be an alternate please email [email protected].
The Jefferson State family and volunteers are ready for the 2021 AL PALS, People Against A Littered State “Don’t Drop It On Alabama” Statewide Spring Cleanup!
Alabama People Against A Littered State (ALPALS) is a statewide organization dedicated to making Alabama more beautiful by sponsoring programs focused on cleaning up litter in our streets, streams, campuses, and coastlines.
Back by popular demand, Jefferson State Community College is partnering with the Cahaba River Society and AL PALS to clean up the Cahaba River as we canoe on the main Cahaba and upstream on the Little Cahaba. Gordon Black, with the Cahaba River Society, will be our guide and teach us amazing facts about this treasure of our state, as we work together to protect it.
- Date: April 23rd
- Time: 8:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Location: Cahaba River at Hwy 280
(meet at Best Buy Parking Lot for shuttle)
- Maximum Participants: 20
- Shuttle to Cahaba River – HWY280 Area Location/Directions
JSCC students, faculty and staff are invited to register below on a first come, first serve basis. We will meet at 8:45 a.m. in the Hwy. 280 Best Buy parking lot and shuttle quickly to the launch site. Please wear a mask on the bus, as we gather to hear instructions and load into canoes. We will provide garbage bags, trash grabbers and hand sanitizer. Canoes and equipment will already be sanitized.
- Please wear comfortable clothing.
- Closed-toe shoes are a must. Sneakers with wool socks are the best choice.
- No open sandals, flip-flops, etc. and waterproof rain boots are NOT recommended.
- We will get out of the canoes occasionally to gather trash, so plan on wet feet.
- Please bring adequate drinking water. Reusable water containers are strongly recommended, much of the trash we will pick up will be single-use plastic bottles.