This is an introductory course designed to familiarize students with the concepts of cybersecurity. The course will prepare students for succeeding courses in cybersecurity and forensics. This course provides the foundation for understanding the key issues associated with protecting information assets. The purpose of the course is to provide the student with an overview of the field of information security and assurance. This course is not designed to transfer.
- Determine the levels of protection and response to security incidents.
- Design a consistent, reasonable information security system, with appropriate intrusion detection and reporting features.
- Identify the spectrum of security activities, methods, methodologies, and procedures.
- Perform inspection and protection of information assets.
- Detect and react to threats to information assets.
- Examine pre- and post-incident procedures.
- Provide technical and managerial responses.
- Present an overview of information security planning and staffing functions.
Successful candidates of the program will receive a certificate of completion from Jefferson State and have the option to sit for the TestOut Security Pro Certification exam and the CompTIA + SYO-501.
Registration can be completed via online, walk-in or postal mail.
Walk-in registration is accepted during our regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the following locations:
2601 Carson Road
George Wallace Hall, Office 202
Birmingham, AL 35215
4600 Valleydale Road
Health Science Building, Office 432
Birmingham, AL 35242
Courses are offered on an ongoing basis and we offer open enrollment. To view a complete schedule, go to the following link: Click Here
Local Alabama Career Centers provide WIOA scholarship opportunities to qualifying students for some programs. (Workforce Investment Opportunity Act). These are for low-income students/students who have recently been laid off from their jobs.