We are so disappointed to share this news. In an effort toward a proactive response, with numerous bans on large gatherings taking place across our country, the administration of Jefferson State Community College made a decision to cancel the event we were to hold on April 11, 2020.
The Judy Merritt Memorial 5K & Eggstravaganza is currently suspended meaning we are assuming we will have to cancel the event in a few days to weeks and wish to alert all participants so you can adjust your plans.
As most of you know, this is a fundraiser for JSCC scholarships, so if you have registered for the 5K Race and wish to receive a refund, we are happy to do that and will probably be mailing those out in the next two weeks. If you wish for your payment to be a donation, we can mail a letter from our Foundation thanking you for your tax-deductible gift.
We fully expect to be back and “running” next year! The 7,000 candy-filled eggs we have already purchased will be distributed to local schools and churches and we will keep you updated!
We thank you for your understanding and certainly wish you and your loved ones health and safety during this uncertain time. We hope to see you next year and thank you for supporting JSCC!
Here is what you can expect for 2021 Easter Weekend!
- FREE Family Fun Day – 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. – Refreshments and Fun for the Entire Family
- Pictures with the Easter Bunny
- Face Painting
- Glitter Tattoos
- Bounce Houses
- Inflatable Slide
- FREE 10,000 + Egg Hunt – 10:45 a.m. – Age Specific Easter Egg Hunts
- 8,000 + Candy Filled Eggs
- 2,000 + Prize Filled Eggs
- Last year over $10,000 worth of prizes were awarded
- 5K Run – 9:00 a.m. – $20 (Student Discount Including College and 18 & Under – $15) * Registration link below.
- Award Categories
- 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place, Top Male, & Female, Overall Awards
- Medals will be awarded to the top male and female runners in the following categories: 10 & Under, 11-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+
- Award Categories
The annual Judy M. Merritt Memorial 5K is held in honor of Jefferson State Community College’s former president Dr. Judy M. Merritt. Serving as President for 35 years, she was the first female president of an Alabama college; her leadership and vision were unparalleled. Judy, as she preferred to be called, embodied the spirit of Jefferson State and our mission to serve all in our community. “While the dream for many has been achieved, the fight for pathways to education, equality, and inclusion continues.” Judy M. Merritt
*Proceeds from the 5k are used to support student scholarships at Jefferson State.
Thank You to Our Sponsors!
This event is endorsed by the Governor’s Commission on Physical Fitness and Sports.