The scholarship includes registration fees, books and transportation stipend.
The program will last from late-September to mid-December with specific dates and times to be announced. It includes classes/lab (plus a clinical rotation) along with study labs, Career Success Workshops and Career Coaching.
A required three-hour orientation session will be held on Thursday before the first week of class.
Classes will be held at Jefferson State’s Shelby-Hoover Campus, and clinical rotations will be at Encompass-Shelby County.
Applicant requirements include:
- Single mother with a child enrolled in Head Start (or previously enrolled)
- High school diploma or GED
- Interest in beginning a career in a medical field
- Ability to dedicate extended time and effort to study in/out of class and complete a clinical rotation at a health care facility
- Submit to a criminal background check, drug screen and health screen, and provide updated immunization record required for clinical placement
- Students are required to attend all parts of the program.
Other information to know:
- The Certified Nursing Assistant Preparation program at Jefferson State prepares students to deliver the necessary component of direct patient contact and care.
- Certified Nursing Assistants are an important part of the health care industry. Students in this program will develop the skill set needed to supplement staffing in the community we serve. In addition, students will receive the appropriate training to be prepared for successful completion of the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP).
- Successful candidates of the program will receive a certificate of completion from Jefferson State and have the option to sit for the NNAAP exam and become certified and listed on the Alabama Nurse Aide Registry.
- This comprehensive course is approved by State of Alabama Department of Public Health.
- Program includes clinical rotations at a long-term care facility. Hours could include weekdays, nights or weekends.
- Books must be returned at the end of classes. Students will be required to purchase scrubs for clinical rotations and must be up-to-date on immunizations.
The program is a partnership of Jefferson State, Encompass Health, and The Women’s Fund of Greater Birmingham.
For more information or questions, contact Success Coach Christine McLain at [email protected]