Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is exclusive to currently serving members of the Armed Forces. If your ETS date falls during the academic semester you will not get TA for that semester. TA is requested on a course-by-course basis and each course must be part of an approved degree program. TA cannot be used for a lateral degree (you cannot use TA to earn a 2nd associates degree, certificate, or short certificate respectively)
TA can be reimbursed for up to 100% of the course cost, not to exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4500 per fiscal year applies for Air Force, Navy, and Marines. Army cannot exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4000 per fiscal year and Coast Guard cannot exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $2250 per fiscal year. (Fiscal year resets on October 1). TA may NOT cover all course fees. TA can be used in conjunction with the GI Bill®, but with some restrictions; contact the Jefferson State Community College Office of Veterans Affairs for guidance at 205-856-7951 or email [email protected].
TA is a tuition reimbursement program; you will not receive an up-front payment. Payments are made directly to the college and may be applied later in the semester. You must pay all tuition due on your account when viewable. Payments not made by the provided deadline may result in schedule cancellation. TA requests should be completed PRIOR to the start of the semester. Each military service branch has its own deadline. You must clear all prior balances and holds with the college to confirm your schedule each term.
For additional information or assistance contact the Business Office at (205) 856-7778 or [email protected].
To Apply for Tuition Assistance:
- Speak with your education officer, career counselor, or benefits incentive specialists with your respective branch of service to ensure you are eligible for Tuition Assistance.
- Gain approval from your commander to attend classes at Jefferson State Community College prior to enrollment.
- See your base Education Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling for classes at Jefferson State Community College.
- GoArmyEd service members must submit a request in the portal. All other branches of service must submit your approved TA request to the Business Office for processing.
- Follow specific instructions for your military service branch regarding how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the TA application instructions/deadlines specific to your branch and Jefferson State Community College academic calendar to ensure your request is processed in a timely manner. Links to apply for TA for each military branch can be found below:
- Army, Army Reserve, Army National Guard–GoArmyEd
- Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard–Military Tuition Assistance Program (af.mil)
- Coast Guard–Tuition Assistance (uscg.mil)
- Marine Corps–Tuition Assistance Guidelines – Marine Corps Community (usmc-mccs.org)
- Navy–Navy COOL – Navy Tuition Assistance Program
Contacts for TA/VA Students
Tuition Assistance – The Point of Contact (POC) for TA students is Debra Fisher. The alternate POC is Sherry Pettry. Ms. Fisher can be reached at 205-856-7778 or by email at [email protected]. Ms. Pettry can be reached at 256-983-5256 or by email at [email protected].
Academic Advising – The POC for general academic advising is Rodney Thompson. He can be reached at 205-856-7914 or by email at [email protected]. The alternate POC is Rose Marie Cobb. She can be reached at 205-856-7951 and by email at [email protected]. For programmatic advising for AAS, Certificate, and Short Certificate Career/Professional Programs, students are recommended to contact the assigned department advisors/head/dean. Contacts for individual programs can be found by visiting www.jeffersonstate.edu/programs, choosing the appropriate program and select the option for Faculty/Staff/Advisors among the menu options.
VA Education Benefits – The POC for VA Education Benefits is Rose Marie Cobb. She can be reached at 205-856-7951 and by email at [email protected]. More information regarding the JSCC Veteran Affairs Office can be found at www.jeffersonstate.edu/veterans.
Job Search Support – The POC is Tapeka Fennell. She can be reached at 205-856-7961 and by email at [email protected]. More information regarding the JSCC Career Coach Center can be found at https://www.jeffersonstate.edu/career-job-resources/.
Student Accounts/Business/Cashiers Office – The POC is Debra Fisher. She can be reached at 205-856-7778 and by email at [email protected]. The alternate POC is Sherry Pettry. She can be reached at 205-983-5256 and by email at [email protected]. More information regarding the JSCC Business/Cashier’s Office can be found at https://www.jeffersonstate.edu/financial/.
Financial Aid Office – Title IV Funding is handled in the Financial Aid Office. The POC for Financial Aid is Morgan Chandler McCormack. She can be reached at 205-856-7803 and by email at [email protected]. The alternate POC is Rose Marie Cobb. She can be reached at 205-856-7951 and by email at [email protected]. More information regarding the JSCC Financial Aid Office can be found at https://www.jeffersonstate.edu/financial-aid/.
Disability Services – The POC is Anne Sherman, and she can be reached at 205-856-6077 and by email at [email protected]. More information regarding the JSCC ADA Office can be found at https://library.jeffersonstate.edu/ADA.