Part Comic-Con and part Academic Conference, Pioneer Con gives students, faculty, and members of the community a chance to release their inner geek.
Wednesday, October 17, in the Health Sciences Building at the Shelby-Hoover campus of Jefferson State Community College. Admission is FREE!!!
An interest meeting will be held September 13 @ 3:30 via teleconference in: Jefferson Campus Carson Hall 210 , HSB 335, Shelby Campus, Pell City PC 216, and Clanton Campus 209. Email questions to sponsor Katie Boyer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Keynote by Phoebe North, author of Starglass & Starbreak
- Chat with guest speakers
- Student & faculty-led sessions
- Dungeons & Dragons mini-campaigns
- Game of Thrones- themed photo booth
- Trivia and prizes
We are seeking PRESENTATION PROPOSALS of the following types:
- Round-table: Speakers present a shared point of view and lead audience discussion. Proposals are submitted by a group.
- Panel: Speakers offer individual points of view and are grouped with others discussing similar topics. Proposals are submitted on an individual basis.
Presentations may address one of the following—or a topic that you propose:
- Clones in Popular Culture
- Stranger Things
- Altered Carbon
- Korean Cinema
- SF/Fantasy Video Games Robot Apocalypse
Presenters receive a free t-shirt, and attendees can come and go to sessions. Although SKD is the English honor society, we welcome proposals from any discipline.
To make a proposal, send us a 100-200 word description of your topic. Tell us as much as possible about what you want to cover and whether you are an individual or a group. Remember that your presentation must fit comfortably in a 45-minute session. If you plan to have more than one presenter, provide the name of each participant. Up to five people may participate as presenters in a session. Click Here to Submit your proposal by 12 noon on Tuesday, September 25. We’ll make final decisions and inform selected participants through email by October 3.
To preregister & enter to win one of four copies of Phoebe North’s books, go to Click Here. and fill out the registration form on the home page by October 15. For other details, see the Pioneer Con Home Page.