Who is the Title IX Coordinator?
Dr. Mike Hobbs (students)
Vice President for Student Affairs
Allen Library Building, Room 207
2601 Carson Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35215
Office: (205) 856-8543
Dr. Hobbs is here to support you and offer information and additional resources to support you right away! The College Community is here to ensure our campus is a safer, more welcoming place to be. You can talk with any Campus Official, faculty member or staff person if you or someone you know is experiencing sexual harassment/sexual violence.
Ms. Debbie Boone (employees)
Director of Human Resources
111 George Wallace Hall
2601 Carson Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35215
Phone: (205) 856-8598
Title IX Training & Certifications
- Title IX Coordinator Training
- Title IX Investigator Training
- Title IX Virtual Certified Decision Maker Training
- Title IX Advisor Training Level 1 – Session 1
- Title IX Virtual Certification Informal Resolution Facilitator Training
Awarded Certificate of Completion by ATIXA (Association of Title IX Administrators)
Mike Hobbs – Title IX Coordinator Level One Training – September 21, 2020 – September 20, 2022
Shain Wilson – Title IX Coordinator Level One Training – September 21, 2020 – September 20, 2022
Anne Sherman – Director – ADA Accommodations Office – Civil Rights Investigator Level One – September 29, 2020 – September 28, 2022
Mark Bailey – Chief of Police – Civil Rights Investigator Level One – September 29, 2020 – September 28, 2022
What is Title IX?
“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance…” 20 U.S.C. § 1681
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. § 1681) is an all-encompassing federal law that prohibits discrimination based on the gender of students and employees of educational institutions which receive federal financial assistance.
What is the Title IX Coordinator responsible for?
- Overseeing all Title IX complaints and investigations to provide prompt, fair and equitable resolutions
- Identifying and addressing any patterns or systemic problems that arise
- Being available to meet with students, provide support and answer questions
- Working with other college officials
- Coordinating training, education and communication pertaining to Title IX
- Being available to assist school law enforcement employees regarding how to respond appropriately to reports of sexual violence
- Ensuring that our institution carries out its Title IX responsibilities
How to File a Title IX Request/Complaint
- Fill out one of the forms and submit to the Title IX Office.
- Contact the Title IX Coordinator, (205) 856-8543 or [email protected]; or Debbie Boone (205) 856-8598 or email@example.com.
NOTE: Faculty members, staff members or students who knowingly provide a false complaint under this policy to a College official, or intentionally mislead College officials who are involved in the investigation or resolution of a complaint, may be subject to disciplinary action.
Who does Title IX apply to?
Title IX applies to:
- Subcontractors, vendors
What does Title IX prohibit?
It prohibits sex discrimination in educational institutions, programs and activities. This includes:
- Sexual assault and other forms of sexual violence
- Domestic, intimate partner and dating violence
- Hostile work environment
- Sexual harassment (quid pro quo, disparate treatment)
- Failing to provide appropriate accommodations for a pregnant or parenting student
- Treating a person differently based on marital status
Title IX Complaints & Criminal Investigations
If a case of alleged sexual harassment or sexual violence occurs, the College will promptly and equitably investigate under Title IX to determine what occurred. We’ll also take appropriate steps to resolve the situation.
A Title IX investigation is different from any law enforcement investigation.
Our Title IX Coordinator and other supporters can help you decide the best course of action for you by describing our grievance procedures listed below!
- Complaint Form
- Title IX Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedures
- Title IX Penalties
- Student Harassment Training (requires myJSCC login)
- Employee Harassment Training (requires myJSCC login)