Emergency Medical Technicians, Advanced EMT’s, and Paramedics are licensed medical professionals who provide emergency medical care to the sick and injured in an effort to promote health, alleviate suffering and conserve human life. Jefferson State Community College offers three levels of EMS training and education. Students who enroll in the EMS program will pursue a course of study, which leads to an Associate in Applied Science degree.
The EMT level is a one semester course which may be taken for credit or non-credit. Upon completion of these courses, students will be eligible to sit for the National Registry examination and apply for a State of Alabama EMT license, which is required for Advanced EMT clinicals.
Advanced EMT training consists of an additional semester of training. Students who complete the Advanced EMT course will be eligible to sit for the Advanced EMT National Registry examination qualifying them to apply for a State of Alabama Advanced EMT License, which is required for Paramedic clinicals.
Paramedic is the final three semesters, which along with the required general education courses, leads to an Associate in Applied Science degree. Upon successful completion of the Paramedic program, the graduate may take the National Registry exam and apply for licensure as a Paramedic.
- For information on the National Registry of EMT’s go to www.nremt.org
- For information on Alabama EMT, Advanced EMT, and Paramedic license go to www.adph.org/ems/
In accordance with the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) Standard IV.B.2, all accredited Paramedic Programs must publish the 3-year results and average for the following outcomes:
- EMS Graduation Data Report. CAAHEP 2016. (3 Year Average and Outcomes)
- To contact CAAHEP: Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs: 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756, 727-210-2350, www.caahep.org
- To Contact CoAEMSP: Committee on Accreditation of Education Programs for the EMS Professions: 8301 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 111-312, Rowlett, TX 75088, 214-703-8445, 214-703-8992 (fax) www.coaemsp.org