The 6th Annual Judy M. Merritt Memorial 5K is complete! Congratulations to the top runners:
- First Place Overall Male was Grant Merrill, a Jefferson State faculty member.
- First Place Overall Female was Lisa Nagy, also a Jefferson State faculty member.
- Second Place Overall Female was Mary Hensel, a supporter of JSCC from the community
- Third Place Overall Female was Jefferson State student Jari Hiott.
- Two special awards were also announced:
– Faculty member Ashley Kitchens was named the winner of the Most School Spirit Award
– JSCC staff member Betty Dykes won the Inspiration Award.
Medals will be mailed to the winners.
The Merritt Memorial 5K was held this year in a virtual format, with participants running from April 6 to May 6 and recording their times.
The event is held in honor of former Jefferson State President Dr. Judy M. Merritt. Serving as president for 35 years, she was the first female president of an Alabama college; her leadership and vision were unparalleled. Judy, as she preferred to be called, embodied the spirit of Jefferson State and our mission to serve all in our community. “While the dream for many has been achieved, the fight for pathways to education, equality, and inclusion continues,” she said.
All proceeds from the race went to scholarships for JSCC students in need.
The Judy M. Merritt Memorial 5K will return to a in-person format for 2022, and will be scheduled for Saturday, April 16, 2022.