Directed by Jefferson State’s very own Jacob Call!
Based on the 1946 motion picture and novel by Valentine Davies, Miracle on 34th Street is bound to be Spotlight’s biggest show yet. The story is a familiar one: by chance, Kris Kringle, an old man in a retirement home, gets a job working as Santa for Macy’s. Kris showers goodwill on Macy’s customers and the commercial world of New York City by referring parents to other stores to find exactly the toy their child has asked for. Seen as deluded and dangerous by Macy’s vocational counselor, who plots to have Kris sent off to a psychiatric hospital, Kris ends up in a court competency hearing. Especially at stake is one little girl’s belief in Santa. The play closes with a dramatic decision and, of course, a happy ending.
Auditions for Miracle on 34th Street are open to novices and experienced actors of all ages and ethnicities. No reservations or headshots are required. This is not a musical, so singing ability is not necessary.
- Director: Jacob Call
- When: October 15 and 16 at 6 pm. Attendance on both dates is not required
- Where: The CEPA stage. 25 Williamson Dr. Pell City, AL 35125
- Rehearsals: Begin October 20th. Specific rehearsal dates and times will be determined after casting.
- Performances: December 7-10, 2018
- What to Prepare: A one-minute comedic monologue or long joke.
- For more Information, contact Spotlight Drama Club Co-Sponsor Lesley Warren: firstname.lastname@example.org
- KRIS KRINGLE: Male (40–80) – He is Santa Claus. Likeable, firm, caring. Loves children.
- FRED GAYLEY: Male (20–40) – Friend/Neighbor to Doris and Susan; Lawyer; Kringle’s defense attorney; all around good guy
- DORIS WALKER: Female (20–40) – Personnel Manager at Macy’s; Susan’s mother; all work, no play.
- SUSAN WALKER: Female (7-12) – Doris’ daughter. Precocious. She doesn’t believe in Santa.
- SHELLHAMMER: Male or Female (any age) – Assistant to Doris. Friendly, efficient.
- JUDGE HARPER: Adult Male or Female (Stage Age 30+) – Presides over Kringle’s hearing; Judicial; likeable; a bit political.
- DR. PIERCE: Adult Male or Female (any age) – Physician at Maplewood Home; warm, caring.
- SAWYER: Adult Male or Female (any age) – Macy’s vocational guidance counselor; character role requiring great comic timing.
- MARA: Adult Male or Female (any age) – Prosecuting attorney; somewhat jaded; sticks to the letter of the law.
- HALLORAN: Adult Male or Female (any age) – Judge Harper’s political campaign manager.
- FINLEY: Adult Male or Female (any age) – Bailiff in Judge Harper’s court.
- MACY: Adult Male or Female (30+) – Owner and manager of Macy’s Department Store.
- BLOOMINGDALE: Adult Male or Female (30+) – Owner and manager of Bloomingdale’s Department Store.
- ENSEMBLE – ADULTS, TEENS and CHILDREN (5-99) – The ensemble is essential to this production. They will guide the show, filling scene breaks, changing scenery, and creating a complete world.