The Certified Nursing Assistant Preparation program at Jefferson State prepares students to deliver the necessary component of direct patient contact and care. Certified Nursing Assistants are an important part of the health care industry. Students in this program will develop the skill set needed to supplement staffing in the community we serve. In addition, students will receive the appropriate training to be prepared for successful completion of the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP). Let the Certified Nursing Assistant Preparation program at Jefferson State be the first step in your health care industry.
This course covers a lot of information and requires hands-on participation in the clinical lab. The main course objectives are to understand:
- Effective communication with the patient and coworkers.
- Safety and standard precautions.
- Proper body mechanics.
- Identification of changes in the aging process.
- The cause and effect of multiple diseases.
- The death and dying process.
Effective demonstration of additional health care skills listed in the textbook.
- Textbook $150 approx.
- Drug Screen $50
- Criminal Background Check $20
- Malpractice Insurance $15
- CPR Certification Card $10
- Student ID Badge $5
- Additional Fees –
- Health Immunizations – Cost will vary based on individual’s immunization status
- Optional: Certification test fee $155 approx.
Clear Health Form including updated immunization record signed by healthcare provider is due by week 4 of the program. The cost varies and may be covered by some health insurance companies.
** Please note that costs are approximations and are subject to change.
Course Specific Information
All students are responsible for:
- Students must attend 100% of total clock hours based on State Nurse Aide education requirements. Students who do not complete 100% of course hours will not be permitted to enter clinicals or sit for the state exam.
- Successful completion of random drug screening and background check. Failure to take or pass the random drug screening or background check will result in immediate dismissal from the program. (No refunds will be issued for the program.)
- Required health immunizations. Cost varies based on immunization status.
- TB Skin Test
- MMR (two are required within lifetime)
- Hepatitis B
- Tetanus (optional but recommended every ten years)
- Clinical Rotations:
- Students are required to obtain 20 clinical hours, during clinical rotations.
- Clinical sites are assigned by the Clinical Coordinator. Refusal of assigned clinical site may result in failure of the program.
- Clinical partners have different health and vaccination requirements. These are the responsibility of the student and the cost is not included in the registration fee.
Failure to produce documentation of positive health and vaccination requirements will result in termination from the program without a refund.
- Clinical rotations may be conducted during “clinic” hours, typically 7:00 a.m. -7:00 p.m, evenings or weekends. The last two weeks are blocked off on your schedule during which you will obtain your 20 clinical hours. Students are required to complete 20 hours of clinical externship to successfully complete the program.
- Successful candidates of the program will receive a certificate of completion from Jefferson State and have the option to sit for the National Nurse Aide A state certification exam.
- The State Certification Exam Fee for Certified Nursing Assistant is approximately $100.
- Certification exam costs are not included in the course fee.
Registration can be completed via online, walk-in or postal mail.
Walk-in registration is accepted during our regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the following locations:
2601 Carson Road
George Wallace Hall, Office 202
Birmingham, AL 35215
4600 Valleydale Road
Health Science Building, Office 432
Birmingham, AL 35242
Courses are offered on an ongoing basis and we offer open enrollment. To view a complete schedule, Click Here:
Career Pathways allows qualifying students to benefit from activities related to workplace readiness, academic and career counseling, and academic preparation while enrolling in selected Non-Credit Fast Track programs.
Tuition assistance may be available for Adult Education students to assist with registration. Click Here to apply.
Local Alabama Career Centers provide WIOA (Workforce Investment Opportunity Act) scholarship opportunities to qualifying students for some workforce training programs. Eligibility is based on various factors, including income. Contact the Birmingham Career Center at 205-582-5200 or Ken King at our career center on site at Jefferson State for more information 205-856-8029 or [email protected].