This program will teach you the skills needed to work in a dental office as an entry-level dental assistant, receptionist, front office assistant or back-office assistant. The main goal of this course is to familiarize the student with all the areas of dental assisting. This class will include both theory and hands-on training that will allow students to become familiar with dental instruments and how to prepare them for the patients. It will provide the student with the professional skills that are necessary to work as Dental Assistant.
This course prepares students to work in a dental office as an entry-level dental assistant, receptionist, front office assistant or back office assistant.
Students should be knowledgeable of the following after course completion:
- Tooth anatomy and charting.
- Alginate impressions pour and trim models.
- Techniques of digital x-ray: bitewing films, periapical films and panorex films.
- Instruments using four-handed dentistry, and how to pass them.
- Purpose and use of dental materials.
- Home care instructions to educate patients.
- Procedures for medical emergencies.
- Protocols for all procedures listed.
- Composite / Amalgam restorations
- Oral surgery – tooth extractions, simple and surgical
- Endodontic – root canals
- Crowns – fabricating temp crowns
- Lab procedures
Registration can be completed via online or walk-in.
Walk-in registration is accepted during our regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the following locations:
2601 Carson Road
George Wallace Hall, Office 202
Birmingham, AL 35215
4600 Valleydale Road
Health Science Building, Office 432
Birmingham, AL 35242
Local Alabama Career Centers provide WIOA (Workforce Investment Opportunity Act) scholarship opportunities to qualifying students for some workforce training programs. Eligibility is based on various factors, including income. Contact the Birmingham Career Center at 205-582-5200 or Ken King at our career center on site at Jefferson State for more information 205-856-8029 or [email protected].
Courses are offered on an ongoing basis and we offer open enrollment. To view a complete schedule, go to the following link: Click Here