As a welder, you might set-up, operate or tend welding, soldering or brazing machines. Welders also operate laser cutter or laser-beam machines. American Welding Society projects a deficit of 290,000 skilled welders in this country in 2020. Our fast-track program will prepare you to apply technical knowledge and skills when bonding or cutting metal parts.
This course is designed to provide the trainees with relevant theory in oxy-fuel welding and cutting, shielded metal arc welding and their applications. Also discussed is proper selection of power sources and settings, welding electrodes, gases, joint configuration, safety, and welding procedures. This course will contain a lecture period followed by a practical application or lab exercise that demonstrates the course topics presented.
Consequent to successful completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate basic competencies in the welding processes described
- State electric arc welding power sources and their applications
- Select the correct welding electrodes and gases for the job
- Safely set up and use oxy-fuel cutting and electric arc welding equipment
- Follow all safety and welding procedures correctly
- Perform fillet welds using E-7018/E-6010 electrodes in various positions
- Perform butt welds using E-7018/E-6010 electrodes in various positions
- State the various weld positions
- Select and prepare various joint configurations
Upon completion of the course, students will be awarded a Certificate of Completion from Jefferson State Community College.
Registration can be completed via online, walk-in or postal mail.
Walk-in registration is accepted during our regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the following locations:
2601 Carson Road
George Wallace Hall, Office 202
Birmingham, AL 35215
4600 Valleydale Road
Health Science Building, Office 432
Birmingham, AL 35242
Courses are offered on an ongoing basis and we offer open enrollment. To view a complete schedule, go to the following link: Click Here
Career Pathways allows qualifying students to benefit from activities related to workplace readiness, academic and career counseling, and academic preparation while enrolling in selected Non-Credit Fast Track programs.
Tuition assistance may be available for Adult Education students to assist with registration. Please Click Here to apply.