The 2020 graduates of Jefferson State Community College will have the opportunity to participate in a unique digital media commencement ceremony on Friday, June 5 at 1:30 p.m. The original graduation exercises, scheduled for May 1, were postponed due to public health directives related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We are exceptionally proud of our 2020 graduates and we want to do our best to provide a special graduation ceremony,” said Jefferson State President Keith Brown. “These graduates have persevered through an unprecedented time and still accomplished their academic goal. They deserve the best commencement ceremony we can provide.”
Jefferson State’s virtual experience will create a memorable celebration for the graduating class while also providing an opportunity for family, friends, fellow students and the college to offer their congratulations. The virtual commencement exercises will include individual recognition for each student, celebratory content, a keynote speaker, and social media filters that will allow graduates to virtually wear a graduation cap. The ceremony is designed to deliver unique moments of celebration and mobile engagement using interactive content.
With Jefferson State’s virtual ceremony, graduates will receive emails and text messages inviting them to participate in the online/digital graduation celebration. Elements of the virtual experience include:
- A video invocation by Pastor Keith Thompson, Canterbury UMC
- A video message from the President Keith Brown
- A performance by the Jefferson State Singers
- A keynote address by Dr. Marquita Davis of the Gates Foundation
- A solo performance by Isaiah Radcliff
- Social media engagement – The social media filters offer an augmented reality experience, allowing the students to engage with their images. Specially-designed Jefferson State graduation filters will be available on social media to allow students to share their pictures in their (virtual) graduation cap
- A unique hashtag, #JSCCGrad2020, will allow for students to share their accomplishment with other graduates and appear on Jefferson State’s social media wall.
“These Jefferson State graduates have earned the opportunity to be recognized and celebrated,” said President Brown. “This virtual commencement will allow us to create a memorable and shareable experience for our graduates.”
The 2020 Virtual Commencement is scheduled to be released on Friday, June 5, 2020 at 1:30 p.m. and can be found at www.jeffersonstate.edu/2020graduation. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.