Program Dates: (Dates subject to change)
August 22-November 23, 2023
There are two parts to the program.
- SPT classes/lab (plus a clinical externship)
- Career Success Workshops/Career Coaching*
August 16, 2023.
*Study Labs, workshops and individual career counseling sessions are mandatory. Students are required to attend all parts of the program.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
9:00 am—1:00 pm
Jefferson State Community College
(Southside Training Center Location) Clinical externship at health care site
- Woman w/income within poverty level
- Committed to obtain SPT employment after graduation
- Ability to dedicate extended time and effort to study in/out of class and complete a clinical externship in a health care facility
- Criminal background check, drug screen, health screen, and updated immunizations record required for clinical placement.
Career Scholarship Program
The Scholarship includes:
Program Registration Fees, Books and Transportation Stipend.
* Students will be required to purchase scrubs for clinical rotations and must be up to date on immunizations.
TB Skin Test, MMR (two are required within lifetime), Varicella, Hepatitis B, Flu Tetanus (optional but recommended every ten years)
The Sterile Processing Technician program equips graduates with the knowledge and skills to obtain an entry level position in the Sterile Processing and Distribution departments in a hospital or outpatient facility. Emphasis is placed on the sterile processing profession, basic science, infection control, aseptic technique, sterilization, instrumentation identification, safety, inventory management and distribution, quality assurance, professional development and current trends in healthcare impacting sterile processing.
This course covers a lot of information. The main objectives:
- Examine an overview of the Sterile Processing department and recognize the role in patient care
- Define the role and responsibilities of a sterile processing technician
- Explain organizational structure in the hospitals or other healthcare facilities
- Define and discuss professionalism
- List and discuss career opportunities in sterile processing and material management
Upon completion and required hours of experience, the student will be eligible to apply to sit for the national certification exam.
For more information click link: Sterile Processing Program
(Applicants will be required to take and score appropriate level on the TABE reading assessment.)