The Jefferson State Student Ambassador Organization is a prestigious group of individuals that serve as official hosts and hostesses for our college and community. Acceptance into this organization is based on an interview process, completed application, and evaluation from selection committee. Each candidate that submits a completed application will be notified of the status of his or her application, and if he or she is selected for an interview. Students who are chosen as Ambassadors may receive a scholarship (for full tuition and fees) for up to TWO academic years (SIX semesters).
DEADLINE for Application is April 1, 2021.
Ambassadors will be chosen by a selection committee based on some of the following criteria: application, interview, GPA, leadership skills, interest in student involvement, and future goals.
What you need to know before applying – Ambassador Required Duties:
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA or better each semester
- Abide by the JSCC Ambassador Demerit System and Code of Conduct
- Be considered a full-time student (12 credit hours per semester excluding the summer term)
- Host various college events (receptions, graduation ceremonies, conferences, etc.)
- Work a minimum of 5 hours per week in a designated area (as assigned by the Ambassador Advisors)
- Assist with New Student Orientations & Preview Days
- Conduct campus tours
- Attend Leadership Conferences and Seminars
- Attend an annual Ambassador Retreat
- Help coordinate and participate in fundraising events
- Travel to various Jefferson State Campuses
- Be available for daytime, evening, and weekend events
Through the selection process, Ambassadors chosen will receive a semester by semester tuition and fees scholarship for up to TWO academic years (SIX semesters). Books are not included. To maintain this scholarship, Ambassadors must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA, abide by the Ambassador Code of Conduct, the Demerit System, and remain in good standing with the college and community. Scholarship recipients must enroll full-time at Jefferson State each Fall & Spring semester and complete a total of 24 semester hours in the academic year.
All current Ambassadors must reapply each year and be evaluated again before the scholarship will be awarded for the second year.
Certain qualified applicants who are willing may serve as volunteer Ambassadors without a scholarship.
Fitzgerald Student Center 403
2601 Carson Rd
Birmingham, AL 35215
How do I become a JSCC Ambassador?
- All interested students must complete an Ambassador application, including a current photo, current transcript, and least one letter of recommendation (from a teacher, counselor, club or student group sponsor, principal etc.), along with a resume.
- All completed applications are reviewed each spring semester for the following academic year.
All applicants that submit a complete application will be contacted regarding the status of their application.
Where can I find the Ambassador Application?
- The Ambassador application can be found under the Ambassador page on the main Jefferson State website, through high school counselors, or by contacting the office of recruiting and student activities.
Can I apply online?
- Yes! You can apply online here, if you have completed your admissions application and set up your Jeff State account.
- All applications must be submitted in their entirety to the Advisors by the deadline date & time.
Is there a GPA or ACT score requirement for applying?
- No, there is not a GPA or ACT score requirement for applying; however, ALL selected Ambassadors must maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA while on scholarship. Test scores and GPA are reviewed during the interview process.
Does my transcript need to be official?
- High school transcripts may be submitted as unofficial pdfs from your iNow profile or a similar system.
- If you are a current Jeff State student, please submit your unofficial transcript from the oneACCS system. You do not need to order one to be sent to us.
Who makes up the selection committee?
- The Jefferson State Ambassador Selection Committee is comprised of faculty, staff, and administrators from all four campuses.
What are the responsibilities of being a JSCC Ambassador?
- Ambassadors are required to attend a mandatory Orientation Workshop (one day) that is usually scheduled during the summer semester, as well as a leadership retreat in early Fall
- Work a minimum of 5 hours per week in a designated area on campus — as assigned by the Ambassador Advisors
- Maintain at least a cumulative 3.0 GPA
- Serve as official hosts and hostesses for college and community sponsored events
- Be available for daytime, evening and weekend events
- Conduct campus tours across all locations (Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair and Chilton)
- Attend Leadership Conferences and Seminars
- Coordinate community service projects
- Complete a 1 credit hour Ambassador Humanities Course in the Fall and Spring semesters
- Coordinate ALL New Student Orientations
- Help coordinate fundraising events
- Be involved in other student organizations and events
- Represent Jefferson State at all times
- Remain in good standing with college and community
- Abide by the Ambassador Code of Conduct and Demerit System
What kind of events/conferences will I attend?
- JSCC student Ambassadors attend an annual Student Leadership Conference (SLI) every summer. This conference is hosted by another community college in Alabama.
- Ambassadors attend an annual team building retreat before Fall semester
What does the Ambassador scholarship pay for?
- The Ambassador scholarship, if received, will cover full tuition and fees for classes within the student’s major. It will pay for a maximum of 19 credit hours a semester to a maximum of 82 credit hours across two academic years.
- As it is a full tuition & fees scholarship, it cannot be stacked with another institutional scholarship, such as President Honors, Academic Excellence, or Achievement. However, students who receive those scholarships and completed the Ambassador selection process may volunteer to serve in the Ambassador program.
Can I receive additional Financial Aid while having an Ambassador Scholarship?
- Yes, you may receive additional funding through Financial Aid, (if you qualify).
Do I have to maintain a certain GPA while being an Ambassador?
- Yes, all Ambassadors must maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
Do I have to be considered a full-time student while serving as an Ambassador?
- Yes, all Ambassadors must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Ambassadors may be enrolled part-time during the Summer semester.
- Ambassadors must complete at least 24 credit hours for the Fall and Spring semesters combined.
What are the rewards/advantages for being an Ambassador?
- Most Ambassadors will receive a semester by semester scholarship for up to TWO academic years (SIX semesters) that includes tuition and fees.
- Ambassadors will attend leadership conferences or seminars throughout the year to strengthen their communication, speech and leadership skills.
- Ambassadors are given a banquet at the end of the spring semester, hosted by the Ambassador Advisors and other staff members of the college.
- Ambassadors are recognized during the JSCC Honors Convocation and at the Graduation Ceremony.
- One Ambassador is chosen every spring semester to receive the Jim Blackburn Ambassador of the Year Award during the JSCC Honors Convocation.
- Being part of our organization looks great on other scholarship opportunities, resumes, and admissions applications if you plan to transfer.
Do I have to re-apply each year?
- Yes, all new and current Ambassadors must re-apply and complete the selection process each Spring semester for the following academic year.
Will I be required to travel to other Jefferson State Campuses?
- Yes, all Ambassadors will be asked to travel to all four campuses, as well as off-campus sites for special events.
- It is required for all Ambassadors to have access to reliable means of transportation.
Is there a President/Vice President for the Ambassadors?
- Yes. Typically, the President and Vice Presidents are returning Ambassadors. These elections are held each Spring semester by the current Ambassadors.
- The newly elected officers will take over these roles at the beginning of each Fall semester.
- Other officer positions will be created and filled as needed.
Do Ambassador officers receive additional money or scholarship awards?
- No, officers receive the same scholarship award as the other Ambassadors (full tuition and fees).
Are all events and meetings mandatory?
- All events and meetings are mandatory unless specified otherwise by the Ambassador Advisors.
Do I currently have to be enrolled at Jefferson State before I can apply?
- No, most interested applicants are seniors in high school. However, you must have completed an admissions application to be considered.
- Anyone who is currently or will be attending Jefferson State may apply (providing they are about to graduate high school, have graduated high school, or received a GED).
- Transfer students also may apply to be Ambassadors.
Can my parents help me with the Ambassadors?
- The Ambassadors are a Student Leadership organization.
- While we certainly recommend that your application & resume be reviewed by adults you trust, the student must complete his or her own application.
- The student must initiate any communication with our office.