The mission of the Liberal Arts Department is to offer courses and programs that will provide a quality educational experience. The Liberal Arts Department is divided into two areas-Humanities and Social Sciences.
The Humanities area of this department is dedicated to providing valuable learning experiences in the liberal arts tradition. The department is committed to offering those courses which will present the student an excellent opportunity to pursue moral, creative, and philosophical interests. Courses within this curriculum include art, music, religion, and philosophy.
The Social Science area of this department also acknowledges the liberal arts tradition. It is committed to creating a learning environment of self-awareness along with a sense of growth and development. Courses in this curriculum include anthropology, geography, history, political science, psychology, and sociology.
The department strives to:
- prepare students to continue their education at four-year institutions or to enter the workforce
- provide access to instruction through distance learning as well as through traditional methods.
- provide students with a discipline approach to the theories and methodologies that will assist them in understanding their society.
- provide for its students an informal and participatory environment which encourages them to adopt a lifestyle of intellectual growth and self-awareness.
- cultivate qualities of character and leadership in students by developing their analytical skills as well as creating a sensitivity to values essential for people living in an ever-changing world.
- maintain an informed and professional faculty.
Division Chair/Speech Instructor
Bethune Deramus Hall 219
Camilla Avery[email protected]Art Instructor Bethune Deramus Hall 219 (205) 856-7837
Angela R. Ford
Bethume Deramus Hall 209B
Bethume Deramus Hall 209D
Pamela R. West
Bethume Deramus Hall 209A
Bethune Deramus 209C
Office Manager Bethune Deramus Hall 219 (205) 856-8585[email protected]
History Instructor Bethune Deramus Hall 235 (205) 856-6049 [email protected]
Kevin S. Townes
Chair- Liberal Arts
Clanton Campus 125
St. Clair-Pell City Campus
St. Clair-Pell City Campus 132
St. Clair-Pell City Campus 227
St. Clair-Pell City Campus 127